How can I describe the taste of lacto-fermented ginger carrots? Well, it’s unlike anything I have ever tasted. It’s not super sweet like you would expect from the abundance of shredded carrots – it’s more of a salty crunch with the acidic bite of lacto-fermentation. While I won’t be opening up the jar anytime soon to eat spoonfuls on its own, I do think it would be a great condiment on top of a burger, mixed into coleslaw, potato salad, or macaroni salad. I would say if you are looking for an exotic lacto-fermented recipe to try that’s salty and has a taste all its own, then look no further!
The recipe for ginger carrots is fairly easy and does not require many ingredient, just like my lacto-fermented pickle slices. Before I knew it, I had a fizzy batch of fermented carrots sitting on my counter; happy and bubbling away. Mine was so bubbly, in fact, I actually would recommend leaving more than an inch of head space at the top of the jar. I think two inches would be more appropriate to avoid a juicy carrot ginger spillover (guilty!).
adapted from Nourishing Traditions by Fallon
4 cups finely shredded organic carrots (I used my food processors to do this)
2 tablespoons finely grated fresh organic ginger
1 tablespoon grey sea salt
4 tablespoons liquid whey
1. Use a hand grater or food processor to shred the carrots and a fine hand grater for the ginger. Mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl.
2. Mash the ingredients together to release the natural juices from the carrots, like I did here with a pestle (from my mortar and pestle):
3. Place ingredients in a quart-sized mason jar and mash down to make sure the juices cover the carrots and ginger. Leave about two inches of room at the top of the jar (this is important to avoid juicy run over!). Cover very tightly with a mason jar lid and let ferment at room temperature for 3 days on your kitchen counter. Store in the fridge for up to several months.
What recipes would you use these lacto-fermented ginger carrots in? Or what would you put it on?
Other Posts You Might Like:
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- Unprocessed Fridays #39 - March 7, 2014
- Any Fruit Crumble (Grain-Free) - March 4, 2014
- WINNER – Cuisinart Smart Stick Immersion Hand Blender ($35 Value) - March 1, 2014